Serviced Apartments Definition
The best way to define a serviced apartment is to look at what international and national serviced provider say about their apartments:
At Quest Apartments for example, they offer "classy Australia accommodation". You can truly enjoy the intimacy of your own apartment, at your favorite destination. Their spacious, stylishly-appointed and well-serviced apartments are far superior to any average hotel in Australia. Quest serviced apartments in Australia are offered on a short and long term basis, making Quest an excellent alternative to the traditional hotel accommodation. Why stay in a hotel when you can have your own superb apartment for the same price?
Another provider we work a lot with: Oakwood Corporate Housing. This provider has several brands including the Oakwood Residences and the Oakwood Premier. The Oakwood Residences brand represents serviced apartments that combine the spacious comfort of a private home with many of the services of a hotel. Each location provides all of the comforts of Oakwood Apartments, plus the addition of distinctive features that may include a 24-hour front desk, airport pickup, daily housekeeping, an onsite restaurant, and designer home furnishings. Oakwood Residences often have larger apartments, ideal for families.
The other Oakwood brand is Oakwood Premier. This brand marries the most elegant apartments with luxury hotel service, and is designed for the upscale international traveler. Pampered from the moment they arrive in their new city, guests are greeted by limousine airport pickup. At all properties, guests will find 24-hour front desk, concierge, and bell services.
Designer furniture, a gourmet kitchen, marble bathrooms, and luxurious linens await guests inside each Oakwood Premier serviced apartment. Exceptional health club and spa facilities at Oakwood Premier include tennis facilities, a swimming pool, a steam room, and massage service. Distinctive from a hotel, the serviced apartments at Oakwood Premier locations are designed for extended-stay guests. Oakwood is well-equipped to handle the needs of relocating families, with services such as school placement, hospital referrals, and a guest activities program.
Far away from the Oakwood concept, we have "Shama", and as they call themself, "a lifestyle provider". Shama's philosophy is to provide serviced apartments that epitomize comfort, style and luxury. In every Shama city and at each Shama location, they adhere to four absolute tenets:
- Style: From furniture to fittings, Shama apartments combine hip style with supreme functionality. For each property, Shama's design team introduces local touches and creates welcoming spaces that reflect its East-meets-West heritage. All materials, from hand-knotted rugs to original artworks, are selected in-house to ensure comfort, quality and conformity with Shama's vision.
- Service: Shama believes that an exceptional living experience requires an unrivaled standard of service. To meet these standards, they are committed to hiring and training the most experienced and qualified staff. The result is a team comprised of dedicated professionals who go out of their way to meet the needs of our tenants and who work continuously to improve our service quality in innovative and practical ways.
- Location: Carefully chosen and fully researched, each Shama property is located in the heart of that city's prime commercial and/or residential district. Shama's residents benefit in every way, including convenient transport links, proximity to cultural and entertainment venues, and easy access to essential amenities, such as grocery stores and laundry services.
- Lifestyle: For many of shama's residents, their experience as an expatriate in a new city is one of the most exciting times of their lives. Shama aims to enhance this experience by creating a sense of belonging through their "No Boundaries programme", which fast tracks shama's tenants' social lives by offering a personal concierge service, access to the city's leading members-only clubs and fitness centres and a constantly updated selection of retail and dining privileges.
From a boutique serviced apartment provider to a global serviced apartment provider such as The Ascott Group and its 4 brands, it's always interesting to see how they differ when it comes to offering and concept. Let's look at that from the Ascott perspective, with "The Ascott Brand":
"As our guest, your needs take top priority and are well-anticipated in Ascott The Residence. Here, you can expect nothing less than the most conducive environment that will help you perform at your peak. We offer a suite of efficient business support services, including our 24-hour reception staff, and secretarial services only a phone call away. Should you require space for larger or more formal meetings, our business centre or meeting rooms are available for your private business discussions.
At the end of a long day at work, you may even choose to entertain a business guest in the privacy of your own living room, or to unwind after a long meeting at our lounge and bar. If relaxation and personal fitness are vital start to your day, our recreational facilities are designed to get you off to a healthy start. You can unwind in the Jacuzzi after a round of golf at the local driving range or greens, or simply sunbathe by the pool after a workout in our fully-equipped gymnasium.
According to your lifestyle, you may choose to make your own breakfast, enjoy your morning repast in our dining room, or choose an outside restaurant. Our housekeeping service visits your residence according to your schedule, not ours. In short, we are poised to help you optimize your performance. Because life is about living."
The Somerset Serviced Residences: "Somerset Serviced Residence was especially conceived for executives and their families who seek a harmonious balance between work and family life. We support this important work-life balance by providing a warm and stylish home with recreational facilities, lifestyle activities and business support services.
Our friendly, experienced staff helps your family to settle quickly into your new city, find the right schools and locate recreational and entertainment facilities appropriate to your needs. The philosophy of the Somerset Serviced Residence is simple – to provide a comfortable home that meets all the lifestyle and business needs of our guests.
Moving your family to a new city means many changes for all concerned. Our warm, knowledgeable staff helps each member of the family feel safe and at home in this new environment. We serve as a reliable support network, helping you locate everything you need in your new environment and introducing you to the delights of the local culture.
Designed with families in mind, Somerset knows the importance of keeping a balance between work and family life. We respect our guests' privacy and freedom to live the lives they want. Whether working, relaxing, spending time with family, exploring your new city's many attractions or sharing your experiences with other residents, we'll provide the support you need."
Back to Australia, a market where the concept of serviced accommodation is more than well-know, the provider "Medina" gives his view on the benefits of using a serviced apartment: The Benefits of Medina Apartment Hotels are space, flexibility, security, lifestyle facilities and parking:
- SPACE: To work, to entertain, to relax, to host family and friends.
- FLEXIBILITY: All one, two and three bedroom apartments feature separate lounge/dining area and a fully equipped kitchen and laundry. All the home comforts you are used to.
- SECURITY: Privacy too, with coded key cards to access guest floors and to enter buildings after hours at most properties.
- LIFESTYLE FACILITIES: Swimming pool, spa, sauna, gymnasium and BBQ facilities are available at most properties.
- PARKING: On-site security parking is available at most properties.